Sunday, October 10, 2010

Questions 8: Cat Farris


Cat Farris has a smooth cartoony style which gives her characters their own unique style.    Cat graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, GA.   Cat can be found at Periscope Studio illustrating and doing storyboards, animations, comics.

Cat Farris' website

Doug Dorr:   What projects are you working on currently?
I'm currently penciling, inking, coloring, and lettering a comic with Oregon writer J. Kingman.  It's about a young girl named Larsha, and the out-of-the-ordinary adventures she has with her ghost twin brother, Cash.  Natalie Nourigat did issue 1 of the same series.

DD:   What is your writing Process?
Um, I don't write, but I can talk about my drawing process.  My animation professor once said, "It's no use drawing until you've had a chance to think about it."  I like to read through the script all the way at least once before I start thumbnailing out pages.  Once I've had a chance to see everything in my head as a whole, then I go through and thumbnail page by page.  If anything is bugging me, or I just can't find a fix I like, sometimes I'll run it past some of my colleagues at Periscope.  I like being able to have different eyes look at my work.  After thumbnails, it's on to pencils, which I then scan into the computer, and print out on Bristol paper in red line.  I ink over those printouts, and then scan in the inks and drop out the red lines in Photoshop, and clean up the pages for coloring.

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend?
I'm a big fan of Mysterius The Unfathomable, words by Jeff Parker, and art by Tom Fowler.  It's one of the best things I've read in years.

Also, Scott Pilgrim!

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend to someone new to comics?
I would say either Scott Pilgrim, or Underground(Steve Lieber, Jeff Parker).  Both are pretty non-traditional, but a great showcase of what the medium is capable of.  Especially if it's someone who's not sure they're into that whole "superhero" thing.

DD:   When are story illustrator, how involved are you in the writing?
I'm usually not involved much at all. I like to let the writer do their thing.  However, if I find something in the script that just isn't working, and I feel comfortable enough with the writer, I will make some suggestions on a particular panel as far as action and staging go.

DD:   What skill would you like to learn?
I've always wanted to learn more inking techniques.  A lot of the people I work with are constantly experimenting with their inking, and it's really inspiring to see what comes out of that experimentation.  I'm a pretty straightforward gal, and I'd like to learn how to step outside of the box more with my work.

DD:   Do you have a collection?   If so, what is one of the items you're most proud of?
I have a giant collection of Japanese-language manga.  I've studied Japanese since high school, and reading manga was how I kept up with the language after school.  I love it when people visit me and go "WOAH!  Look at all this manga!"

DD:   What is your favorite genre of Comics?
Despite my giant collection mentioned in the last question, I don't think I have a favorite genre, really.  I like manga a lot, but I also love super hero stuff.  I have stacks of old issues of Wolverine and X-Men, am an avid webcomics reader, plus the non-traditional comics I mentioned earlier... basically, if the art is good and the story is well written, I'll read anything!

DD:   Do you have an Ipad?   If so what do use it for the most.
Hahahahaha!   No way!  I'm not even interested in having one, to tell the truth.:)

DD:   What is your favorite TV show/ movie?
I don't really watch TV anymore, but when I did, I loved watching Bones.  As for movies, probably Lilo and Stitch.  That was probably the last truly good thing to come out of Disney before they gave up on 2D.

DD:   How does the Portland comics culture shapes your work
Because there are so many comics artists out there, I'm always getting bombarded with different influences. From highly traditional, to totally indie, Portland has everything.  It also motivates me to work harder, because there are so many folks sitting right next to me that are super talented.  I can't afford to slack if I want some respect!:)

DD:   What was your first comic convention?
I'm pretty sure it was the Portland Comic Convention, way back in the early 90's.

DD:   What is your favorite part of comic conventions?
Back then, it was comics.  Now, it's networking.  I love going to conventions and meeting other industry folks, and seeing folks I only run into at cons.

DD:   If you weren’t doing comics what would you do?
I'd probably be doing Japanese/English interpretation.

DD:   Do you have a favorite restaurant that you would recommend?
Sckavones , on 41st and Division!  SO GOOD!

DD:   How long have you lived in Portland, what made you choose Portland?
I was born here, so I had no choice!:D  But also, I think Portland has a magical pull of some sort.  Even though I grew up having every intention to leave for good some day, I always ended up right back here.

DD:   What is your favorite part of Portland?
The Japanese Garden, and the Chinese Garden.  Two of the most peaceful places in the whole city.

DD:   Where in Portland/ Oregon would you most like to visit?
I'm sure there are a few restaurants I haven't been to yet... :)

DD:   Would you like to write for another media? or conversely, how would you feel about writing a comic of a character from a different media, for example, Dr. Who, James Bond?  What would you explore?

I'm not much of a writer in general, but I sure like to draw.  Comics, animation, illustration, anything.  Someone once said they'd like to see me do a children's book.  I think I could get into that.  If someone out there wants to write me a crazy story, no matter what it's about, I'd draw the heck out of it.

DD:   What's the most important thing you've learned?
It would definitely be to never give up.  That sounds really hokey, but as an artist it's so easy to see the work of people around you and feel like you'll never be that talented, and you should just throw out your pencil and brush and never try again.  But you have to keep going  and always try to use that feeling as motivation to work harder, and be the best you that you can.  Sure, you can't draw like the guy next to you, but if you quit, who's going to draw like you?:)

No comments: