Monday, February 28, 2011

Questions 30: Adrian J. Wallace

Adrian J. Wallace was born in Nottingham England, and moved to North America as a child.   Adrian J. Wallace writes and draws the web comic jumbodeluxe.  He also does freelance graphics, web design and is currently taking classes at Portland Community College.  He recently was invited to the Comics at the Opera for Turandot.   

You can start at the storyline for jumbodeluxe that from the first strip

Doug Dorr:   What projects are you working on currently?
I draw, write and manage the webcomic known as Jumbo deLuxe.
http://jumbodeluxe.com
DD:   What is your artistic Process?
I think up stories and sketch layouts and bits of dialog, later it gets refined into actual drawings which I make on large bristol board and inked with an old-timey crowquill pen. I use a computer to do the color, lettering and graphics.   (I made a more detailed look at my process here and here

DD:   When you are story illustrator, what is your interaction with the writer?
I usually draw my own stuff, and that involves writing, layouts and drawing at the same time.
When I work with a writer, I usually meet them face to face and we brainstorm story ideas and sketch stuff together.

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend?
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec by Jacques Tardi.

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend to someone new to comics?
It depends on their age and interests. I usually force people to read stuff I like or stuff that's influenced me. Charles Schulz's Peanuts, Tintin, Little Nemo in Slumberland, Spirou, Asterix, Eightball and anything by Jim Woodring.

DD:   What skill would you like to learn?
I'd like to be better at managing my time, and finishing all the things that I

DD:   What's the most important thing you've learned?
The English Language.

DD:   Do you have a collection?   If so, what is one of the items you're most proud of?
Yes. The complete print run of Tantalizing Stories. Either that or the first english language editions of Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga.

DD:   What is your favorite genre of Comics?
European or Franco-Belgian adventure stories (Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, etc.)

DD:   Do you have an Ipad?   If so what do use it for the most.
Nope, I haven't even figured out this iPod I bought in 2005. They say it's supposed to play music, but I think the speaker is broken.

DD:   What is your favorite TV show/ movie?
My favorite TV show ever is Doctor Who. My favorite movie is Terry Gilliam's Brazil.
 
DD:   How does the Portland comics culture shapes your work
I'm friends with various cartoonists around town. They're great with advice, support and critiquing my work, they also threaten me with bodily harm if I don't produce more and better comics.
What was your first comic convention?
Stumptown 2004

DD:   What is your favorite part of comic conventions?
Getting good advice from seasoned professionals and meeting new friends

DD:   If you weren’t doing comics what would you do?
Animation, Storyboards, Graphics

DD:   Do you have a favorite restaurant that you would recommend?
Pho Van

DD:   How long have you lived in Portland, what made you choose Portland?
I've lived in Oregon since my first year of high school. My college pals and girlfriend / wife forced me to move to Portland.
DD:   What is your favorite part of Portland?
East 82nd Avenue! No seriously, Cathedral Park in St. Johns.

DD:   Where in Portland/ Oregon would you most like to visit?
I haven't been to the Chinese Garden for a long time.

DD:   Would you like to write/Illustrate for another media? or conversely, how would you feel about writing a comic of a character from a different media, for example, Dr. Who, James Bond?  What would you explore?
Yeah, that would be a fun challenge! I've always liked the idea of playing in someone else's sandbox for a while (though I've never actually done it).  I could only do it right I were a fan of those stories having already done the research and feeling emotionally invested in the characters. I would say Yes to 'Doctor Who' because I know it so well. I would probably avoid Batman or Star Trek since I'm not a particular big fan of either. I'd be terrified of Star Trek fans coming after me if I somehow wrote a story and they ended up hating it. Right now I'm having more fun making my own stories and playing in my own sandbox.

No comments: