Thursday, December 09, 2010

Questions 19: Chris Samnee

He is currently the artist on the monthly series Thor: The Mighty Avenger with writer Roger Langridge and just completed the OGN Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale with writers Joss and Zack Whedon.   His influences are artists like Alex Toth, Milt Caniff, Steranko, Romita, Sr., Kirby, Mazzucchelli and Steve Rude.  They give him the cleaner, simpler line like the Silver Age artists.   I find that he is amazing to watch sketch and ink, if you have the opportunity watch him. He has done some fantastic work such as The Mighty (DC), The Exterminators for DC/Vertigo, Agents of Atlas (Marvel), Capote in Kansas and Queen & Country (Oni Press).   He is a rising star and is on some major new marvel books such as Thor,  Siege: Embedded,  Age of Heroes and DC's Vertigo Crime OGN Area Ten.     I cant' wait to see what's next.

Chris, Laura and Scout recently moved from St. Louis to Portland.  

Check out his amazing sketch blog  and is amazing works at  Comictwart  

Doug Dorr:   What projects are you working on currently?
Currently, issue 8 of Thor: The Mighty Avenger, along with some sketching for upcoming projects. 

DD:   What is your artistic Process?
Typically, I get a script from my editor.  I read through the script once, then read through a second time, making sketches in the margins about panel layouts or angles or storytelling.  Then I sit down and translate the script, and those sketches, into 4"x6" thumbnails.  The thumbnails are sent to my editor for approval. After approval, I draw the full sized pencils which are again, sent in for approval.  Then I ink those pages.

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend?
I really enjoyed the first Parker book by Darwyn Cooke.  The second is in my to-read pile.

DD:   What Comic/ Trade would you recommend to someone new to comics?
I guess that would depend on what they like to read!  

DD:   When you are story illustrator, how involved are you in the writing?
Typically, I'm not.  Unless the writer asks for my two cents.

DD:   What skill would you like to learn?
I'd love to learn how to color in Photoshop.

DD:   What's the most important thing you've learned?
In comics?  I've learned that it's incredibly important to have a good support system.  And that being professional about your work (especially deadlines) will set you apart with editors.

DD:   Do you have a collection?   If so, what is one of the items you're most proud of?
Of course!  I've got a small, but great, collection of original art. 

DD:   What is your favorite genre of Comics?
I love silver-age, 60's, fun and campy comics.

DD:   Do you have an Ipad?   If so what do use it for the most.
No.

DD:   What is your favorite TV show/ movie?
My favorite movie is Superman: The Movie.  I have lots of favorite tv shows. 

DD:   How does the Portland comics culture shapes your work
Well, I've only been here five months, so I don't think it's had a chance to shape my work yet. I do love that so many creators live in Portland, and that was certainly a draw for us to move here. 

DD:   What was your first comic convention?
A Greater Eastern convention in St. Louis when I was probably 12.

DD:   What is your favorite part of comic conventions?
Hanging out with other creators and getting to meet fans.

DD:   If you weren’t doing comics what would you do?
I'd love to be a sculptor.

DD:   How long have you lived in Portland, what made you choose Portland?
We've been here five months.  I like that there is such a large community of comic book folks.  Also, I really love coffee and rainy weather.

DD:   What is your favorite part of Portland?
Honestly, I've spend almost every waking hour working at my desk since we moved to Portland, so I haven't seen very much of the city.  I do love our neighborhood though.

DD:   Where in Portland/ Oregon would you most like to visit?
Anywhere outside of my office!  :)

DD:   Would you like to write/Illustrate for another media? or conversely, how would you feel about writing a comic of a character from a different media, for example, Dr. Who, James Bond?  What would you explore?
I'd love to explore doing storyboards at some point.  

No comments: